A is for Abs, B is for Booty, C is for ... Cellulite?!
Ah cellulite, another big ‘C-word’ for women (and men too! Because, surprise, guys can also have cellulite). The bane of some women’s existence with its uneven texture and less than stellar appearance. While we all might know what cellulite is, how many of us really KNOW what cellulite is? I used to think that cellulite was the result of an unfit/unhealthy body. I was mostly wrong. While regular exercise and proper diet can, in fact, help reduce the appearance of cellulite, it unfortunately is not a “cure.”
But as always, I will break it down for you and smooth out all of your cellulite questions. Starting with:
What is Cellulite?!
In short, it’s the way your body fat is deposited under your skin, creating a dimpled effect. Now, don’t freak out by the word fat, as humans, we ALL NEED SOME body fat. Say it with me: WE ALL NEED SOME BODY FAT! Great. Now that we got that out of the way, let’s agree that from now on we are comfortable with the word fat. Cool? Cool. Moving on.
What Causes Cellulite?
The puckering of skin happens when the layer of fat beneath the skin pushes against connective tissue and bulges. Awesome … so what causes THAT? While there is no definitive cause of cellulite, there are a few things which contribute to it. I know that some of you are groaning as I write this, but I am asking you to bear with me. The “contributors” to cellulite are as follows:
- Hormonal changes: specifically a decline in estrogen levels
- High levels of insulin and catecholamines
- High levels of carbohydrates in the diet
- Prolonged sitting and an inactive lifestyle
- Being a woman … and the resulting way our fat cells and connective tissues are structured
What Can I Do To Lessen My Cellulite?
- Keep going to the gym! Or start … whichever works best for you. If you lose weight and replace it with muscle, you're going to have a fat layer that's not as thick, and your cellulite is going to improve.
- Eat right. No brainer, take care of the inside of your body, and she will take care of the outside.
- Strengthen your skin. We all need a little help sometimes, and your skin is no exception. Topical treatments that build collagen in the skin, like Retin-A or creams with retinol or vitamin C, could help with smoothing out your skin. Y’know, similar to the ones that come in pretty blue bottles and smell of summer. *wink wink*
Now, if you’re looking for a more serious treatment, have the money to spend, and find that your cellulite is deeper than an orange peel, there is the surgical route.
Anyway, woman to woman (and woman to man), let me tell you something, between us. Around 80-90% of women experience some form of cellulite. Do you know what that means? It means that it’s NORMAL! And guess what else? If it’s normal, then there’s no reason for you to feel embarrassed, shy, uncomfortable, or, dare I say, hate yourself for it! The human body, especially the female body, is a beautiful, magical, and mysterious artwork. Don’t let something as superficial as an extremely common skin condition affect your mentality.
My own advice to you? Love yourself. Be kind to yourself. Stop judging yourself! Rock the body you’ve got, and take care of her. Go to the gym, eat right, and be happy. Do it for you, and do it for your health, nothing is sexier than a confident and happy woman, so concentrate on that. You own your life, cellulite aside.
In the words of Dr. Seuss, “today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive, who is youer than you.” In other words, you are unique and special, own it.
Even one of our ambassadors, Annie, a total bad*** babe, has accepted her cellulite. If she can rock it, so can you. To read about her cellulite journey click HERE.
#loveyoursweat #loveyourglow #loveyourcellulite